In response to Jonah Lehrer's recent article "How to be Creative", I have been asked to discuss my thoughts on creativity and innovation as an individual and within an organization.
1. What are your personal experiences with individual creativity? Have you had times when you felt especially creative or, even, especially uncreative?
The word "creative" is interesting as it takes me in different thought directions and I sometimes initially think "oh I'm not creative". When I think of someone being creative my initial thoughts are do they possess "artistic talent"; however, creativity is not limited to artists and can be seen in the way someone thinks through a problem, the way a business practice is carried out, or even in the way someone is able to perfectly pack the trunk of a car with all the luggage needed for a long trip.
Growing up, I often was told I had a creative mind, seeing things in ways that others did not. I had a ton of energy (often tagged as ADHD) and enjoyed participating in activities that let my imagination run free and allowed for "unstructured" play. I would tell wildly imaginative stories, I was an excellent problem solver, and LOVED to do math. I also was typically in environments that encouraged creativity. Whether at home or at school, my creative strengths were celebrated and I rarely faced situations where I felt inadequate due to my strengths/weaknesses.
As time has gone on, I have seen my creative outlets and abilities dampen. This is not due to a lack of desire to think and behave in creative ways, it is more the result of increased structure (more rules and guidelines) and the need to get things done as quickly as possible (even if that means the results are subpar). I often times have a strong interest in something, may initially feel creatively inspired by the topic, and yet don't have the time or energy to really invest and allow myself to explore it in a creative way.
I am very affected by the environment I am in and find it harder to be creative in traditional classroom/work settings. For example, I have found it beneficial to walk around when exploring a topic rather than sit still at a desk and hope my mind goes in the direction I am taking it. As discussed in class, I loved my high school classes that would allow us to meet outside for class - the discussions always seemed more vibrant and full of life and deep thought. I believe changing up the environment can allow people's minds to have more room to explore, the boundaries are removed.
I find it difficult to be creative when I am tired and grumpy, or feeling particularly lazy or uninterested in something. I find I am the most creative when I remove preset expectations, formal structure, and rigid guidelines. Additionally, when I am encouraged and given the time to be creative, I have found it is easier to act in a creative way.
2. What are your personal experiences with organizational creativity? Have you worked at companies that felt or behaved in ways that made them more creative or, even, especially uncreative?
I have not seen sustained organizational creativity. I have experienced spurts of creative energy at both a personal and team level in my past jobs, but often this was the result of "creative" brainstorming practices, and the creativity very rarely carried through to the remainder of the project or the creative ideas would later be "shot down" as they required too much time, resources, and money.
When given more freedom to explore a topic and set project goals, I often felt more ownership of my work and found it easier to creatively approach each step. I would say that because of lack of practice, it sometimes took me longer to get going with a creative solution than it did to take the typical path of completion. However, as discussed in the article, creativity is something that can be learned, practiced, and strengthened. I definitely believe that the more I have been encouraged to be creative- the more I am able to produce creative work.
Another aspect that I feel can greatly hinder or promote creativity is the team dynamic and desire to be creative. In team environments where ideas are constantly shot down and trust is not valued, I have found it particularly difficult to work and produce creative results.
Overall, I do feel that I am capable of being creative by myself and that groups within organizations are capable of being creative. I don't think it is always easy to be creative, but I certainly enjoy when I am able to be creative. I believe it must be encouraged, practiced, and celebrated in order to make people more comfortable with acting in a creative manor.
Hi Claire - thanks for sharing your thoughts on creativity. This post is just a bit shy of the length requirement, so try to push yourself to write a little more in the future (for example, perhaps by giving your thoughts on Jonah's article).
ReplyDelete